This resource will provide support workplace trainers and RTOs in the mining industry and assist them to develop the LLN skills employers really need their workers to have. This may include helping an existing worker meet the skills requirements of a training program, or a new role, or identifying a new worker's strenghts and learning needs.
This Workplace English Language and Literacy (WELL) resource can be used by trainers, in conjunction with the Resources and Infastructure Industry (RII) training package to:
- working with adult learners enrolled in Certificates II, III and IV level coal mining qualifications
- identify existing LLN skills and gaps that need to be addressed
- assist with the design and delivery of solutions training to suit the specific LLN needs of learners and their employers and
- monitor learner's and worker's LLN levels and improvements
Learners and workers in the coal mining industry can also use the resource to review their own LLN levels and identify areas in which they would like assistance.
The resource has three parts:
- Tools for basic LLN self-assessment
- Summaries of core LLN skills
- Tools to review and develop LLN skills
Developing workers' LLN levels will assist in ensuring a productive and safe workforce for the coal industry.
This resource will greatly assist employers, workplace trainers and RTOs alike to identify and face the challenges that low levels of LLN can present.